Founded in 1983, the Riverview Neighborhood Association is one of the oldest and continually active neighborhood associations in Jersey City, primarily serving the eastern portion of Jersey City Heights. RNA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that actively partners with neighbors, local government, and local organizations to improve the quality of life and foster pride in our neighborhood and surrounding communities. Meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month (except August) at 7:30PM at the AlarisHealth at Harborview Health Center, 178 Ogden Ave (Ogden & Franklin).
Our Role in the Community
RNA’s role is to build community awareness by welcoming all members of the community to participate and get to know each other, being a conduit for information, advocating on behalf of its members for services and other needs, holding events that build community pride and participation, cherishing and protecting our local parks, promoting responsible development, advancing educational opportunities and sustainability, helping those less fortunate, and improving all facets of the quality of life in our neighborhood.
- Monthly meetings featuring representatives from the JC Police Department and Jersey City Resident Response Center plus monthly guest speakers including elected officials, governmental agencies, arts groups, historic presentations, non-profit organizations and issue-oriented speakers.
- Sponsored or co-sponsored events: Annual Park Fest/Flea Market, Holiday Party, Movies in the Park, Halloween Dog Parade, Riverview Farmers Market, community cleanups, and social events at local watering holes and private homes.
- Advocacy: RNA has a long history of community advocacy including pressing for responsible development, protecting and preserving the views from Riverview Fisk Park and the Palisade Cliffs as well as the maintenance and improvement of our local parks and open spaces; fighting for improved transportation options, improving city services, and lobbying to ensure that agreements with the community and city ordinances are enforced.
- Educational/Outreach efforts: candidate forums, voter registration, facilitating meetings between community and elected officials/government agencies, combatting homelessness and illiteracy, promoting sustainability, working with small businesses to create mutually beneficial relationships with the local community and supporting development of the arts in Jersey City Heights.
- Member of the Jersey City Parks Coalition and the JC Reservoir Alliance and work with other community organizations on common issues.